When a home has experienced water damage, it is important that it be taken care of immediately. Water damage that has left to reside in a home will begin to cause issues almost immediately following floods. Floods can occur for a multitude of reasons including, but not limited to, burst or leaky pipes, natural disasters, and faulty appliances. No matter the amount of water that comes from these disasters, it’s imperative to treat all as a threat that needs to be addressed immediately in order to prevent further disasters in a home.
Water damage can be harmful to both our properties and our bodies. To ensure the safety of yourself and integrity of your home, it must be known that water damage really is as bad as it is made out to be, especially if it continues to sit in your home. Unfortunately, it is not a matter that can be taken lightly. Because of that, water damage repair should be considered as soon as it is noticed. However, for someone who hasn’t experienced it, noticing the signs may not be as obvious. Here are some signs that you should watch out for.
The longer that water is allowed to sit in a home, the more mold grows and the higher chance of the spread of bacteria and contaminants. Depending on the kind of water that fills the home, these contaminants can run rampant in the home, causing all sorts of illnesses and health problems. A person in this type of environment who is constantly exposed to water damage can experience illnesses ranging from a mild upset stomach to serious illnesses such as dysentery, typhoid fever, and other water-borne illnesses.
Mold is a huge problem that can begin to grow within the first 24 hours of the flood. It can grow everywhere, hidden in places that may not be able to be found without professional help. No matter the amount of water, mold will always grow and cause issues. Unfortunately, mold has many negative impacts on the body and immune system. It causes health problems such as allergic reactions, asthma attacks, eye and/or skin irritation, irritated throats/nose, and lung problems. Moreover, repeated and elongated mold exposure can increase one’s sensitivity, causing more severe allergic reactions. Exposure to certain molds that produce toxins called mycotoxins can cause more serious illnesses as well.
Mold will compromise anything near water, including but not limited to personal belongings, furniture, and even the structural integrity of a house. If the mold is not immediately taken care of, rampant mold growth could take over a house, causing health issues, and, in extreme cases, causing the structure to be condemned.
Mold and bacteria aren’t the only things that love to take over a water-infested home. Pests will also begin to become a problem as well. Softer wood in the home allows bugs to be able to nestle inside and lay their eggs. Additionally, other problematic pests such as carpenter ants and termites will devour the soft wood, creating structural problems in a home.
Rats are also attracted to damp areas and will take over. Wet areas are seen as an oasis to any of these pests as it is a source of water and food that is not too far away in the kitchen. If any of this water damage has been going on for a while without notice, removing these pests can be a long, difficult process.
Water damage is not a situation to be taken lightly. It needs to be taken care of as soon as it is noticed to avoid the problem getting worse. However, tackling it on your own can be a long and taxing process. Water damage repair specialists at 24Restore can be sure to solve the problem for you quickly and appropriately. You do not need to risk your health to clean up after water damage, let the professionals help you.