When a person feels ill they may not immediately consider the cause to be mold. Mold can and does cause serious health problems in many people. At 24 Restore we understand that when people are exposed to mold in their home the effects can be harmful.
A skin rash: Although you may think that the skin can only become inflamed by direct contact with the mold this isn’t always the case. You can develop redness in your skin simply from inhaling the fumes from the mold.
Eye irritation: Mold can cause both redness and watering of the eyes. During the spring months, many people associate this with seasonal allergies when in actuality the cause is the mold within their home or office.
Headaches: Breathing in mold can cause headaches in some people. This is especially true of people who suffer with migraines. They are very sensitive to certain stimulants and mold can be one of them.
Feeling tired: Feeling tired for several days in a row, even when you are getting adequate sleep can be a symptom of mold exposure.
Sore throat: Experiencing a raw feeling when swallowing, or hoarseness when speaking, are both indicative of mold exposure. Spores can become lodged in the throat and irritate the sensitive membranes.
Shortness of breath: Breathing in mold spores can cause respiratory difficulties in some people. This is especially prevalent in those with allergies. They may even develop asthma or may have asthma and not realize that their asthma attacks are being trigged by the mold in their homes.
Runny nose or sinuses: If you are constantly reaching for a tissue to catch your runny nose this can also be a strong symptom of mold exposure. This can be triggered either by an allergy to the mold spores or the membranes of the nose become irritated by the spores. In either case, you may again misdiagnose yourself as having a head cold or seasonal allergies, but if the runny nose persists, consider that the source may indeed be mold.
Bleeding nose: Although this symptom is rare, it does occur. Some people are more sensitive to certain allergens and those offending irritants cause severe reactions. One of these reactions can be damage to the membranes of the nose resulting in regular bleeding. If this is happening to you, it can be caused by mold within your home.
If you realize that you suffer from several or all of these symptoms on a regular basis, it is advisable that you inspect your home for mold. It is also wise to track how your symptoms occur.
If you leave your home each day to work and notice that you feel better during the day, this can be a clear indicator that something in your home is causing your distress.
The same can be said if you travel and find yourself in better health then. Your home shouldn’t make you sick and finding and treating the mold problem will ensure that doesn’t happen. 24 Restore in Minneapolis specializes in mold removal and help answer any questions you might have. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms and wonder if mold might be to blame call 24 Restore today.