Mold Growth, Detection, and Health Issues
Microscopic mold spores exist nearly everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. It is impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. There is little you can do to eliminate mold spores, as they are an essential part of nature. But when mold growth occurs where it shouldn’t–mold growth in your basement, kitchen, bathroom or anywhere else inside your home–you should be concerned and take action to remove the mold.
Any Minneapolis home or business can easily become infested with mold with the introduction of a water source such as a plumbing leak. Mold can spread throughout a home or business in as little as 48-72 hours, and can produce allergens and irritants that have the potential to cause other health effects.
Consider these mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold reproduces by mold spores, which can be carried by air currents. Mold spores are microscopic and travel through the air.
- Spores can enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems. They can even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or on a pet.
- Mold can grow on almost any substance when moisture is present. Because common building materials are capable of sustaining mold growth, and mold spores are ubiquitous, mold growth in an indoor environment is typically related to water or moisture indoors
- Mold spores grow quickly into colonies when exposed to water.
- If the sources of water or moisture are not addressed prior to mold remediation the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor. This can be helpful as it can help you identify mold issues.
- High indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Nearly 37 million Americans suffer from sinusitis, and according to the Mayo Clinic, the vast majority of these conditions are caused by mold. Of course, sinusitis is just one of many dangers if you have black mold in your home. Untreated mold will only continue to grow, as will health problems that may include:
- Body aches and pains
- Chronic fatigue
- Difficulty concentrating
- Dry hacking cough
- Eye, nose and throat irritation
- Food intolerances and allergies
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Lung tissue damage
- Memory impairment
- Mood swing
- Respiratory problems
- Sinusitis and nasal congestion
- Skin rashes and irritation
- Suppressed immune system
In the most severe cases, black mold can even be fatal for those with weakened immune systems, as well as children and the elderly.
While there’s not much you can do about mold spores floating in the air, mold growth inside your Minneapolis home should be taken seriously, and large areas of mold should be removed by a professional. 24Restore is able to test for mold, detect hidden pockets of moisture in your home, and safely and effectively remove the mold growth in Minneapolis and the Twin Cities area.
If you believe you may have mold growing in your home, but cannot see it, call 24Restore for a mold inspection. If mold growth is found, we will take the necessary steps to remove the mold, protecting your health and the health of your family.