It’s Fire Prevention Week
In a fire, seconds DO count. Seconds can make the difference of escaping safely and seconds can make a huge difference in salvaging your home and all of your belongings.
That’s why the National Fire Protection Associations theme for Fire Prevention Week 2019 is “Not every hero where’s a cape. PLAN and PRACTICE your escape.” This coincides with their theme from 2018 which was “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” This repeating similar theme really reinforces the importance of and why everyone needs to have an escape plan.
- Draw a map of your home with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
You can check out more on their website. They also have free print outs and activities for kids!
YOU can also download a grid from the NFPA website to help you draw the map of your home
For more information on smoke damage or fire damage clean up check out some of my previous blogs below. Questions about fire damage or have a fire damage? You can call our office 24/7, we are always in a hurry to help!
~ The People ~ The Equipment ~ The Expertise ~