I know I have mentioned the importance of this in previous blogs. We all know we are guilty of procrastinating certain things, especially things that may seem not very important when you are already struggling to keep up with the day to day. I can’t stress it enough … that when it comes to smoke damage or fire damage in your Minneapolis home, seconds DO Count and having a plan is essential. Take a few minutes tonight with your family and review your emergency plan. If you don’t have one, here are simple steps to creating one:
- At least twice a year, push the smoke alarm button to start your home fire drill.
- Get out fast.
- Practice escaping from bedrooms when people are asleep.
- Make sure everyone in your household can open all doors and windows. Security bars on windows should have emergency release devices so they can be opened easily from the inside.
- Go to your meeting place. Mail boxes are a great option if they are far enough away. Ours for example is a huge boulder right across the street.
- In a real fire, get out and stay out.
- Call 9-1-1 from outside.