Happy Thanksgiving Minneapolis!
So I did a crazy thing over the weekend. I put my Christmas tree up BEFORE Thanksgiving! It has been a tradition my entire life to put it up after the 7th of December, a tradition started by my mom. This was her special way of separating my birthday from Christmas and it stuck with me through the years. This year I evaluated all the time it takes to put it up and take it down and I decided that tradition no longer makes sense in my world! I want to enjoy it longer, something about Christmas lights completely soothes my soul and I am done fighting it! Fun Fact …putting my tree up early has also made me even more excited to entertain for Thanksgiving.
Entertaining for Thanksgiving is what inspired this blog. Another fact, not so fun, is that Thanksgiving is a peak day for home cooking fires. I know, I know …how do I go from Christmas lights soothing my soul to a topic that would be the opposite of soul soothing!(?) BECAUSE I am hoping these tips will prevent anything from destroying your holiday joy! Here’s the facts:
Statistics To Share
Based on 2010-2018 annual averages:
- Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in home cooking fires.
- Two-thirds (67%) of home cooking fires started with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.
- Clothing was the item first ignited in less than 1% of these fires, but these incidents accounted for 16% of the cooking fire deaths.
- Ranges accounted for the largest share (58%) of home cooking fire incidents. Ovens accounted for 16%.
- Three of every five (57%) reported non-fatal home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victims tried to fight the fire themselves.
- Frying poses the greatest risk of fire. Check out my other blog that focus’ JUST on frying!
Basically comes down to, Don’t wear loose clothing when cooking, never leave cooking unattended and always have an extinguisher located in the kitchen.
Another important tip to prevent smoke or fire damage during your Thanksgiving feast is always keep candles in a safe area away from kids and pets. I have a few other blogs on candle safety if you’d like to read more!
The 24Restore family wishes you and your family a happy and safe Thanksgiving!