Fire and Water Damage Often Come Together

fire damage cleanup in Minneaplis Often fire damage and water damage come together. Here is what to do if you have had a severe fire loss in your home, with a lot of water used to put the fire out!

Inspecting the fire damage

Although you may have amazing amount of technical and practical experience, legally only a licensed inspector (structural engineer, industrial hygienist, etc.) can determine the safety of any dwelling.

It’s always best to hire a professional restoration company certified with the IICRC who has at least 5 years proven experience in the field. But while you are waiting for help to arrive, here are some tips to get started:

  1. Remove as much smoke from the home as possible by using carpet or fire fans from your local supplier (Call 24 Restore for recommendations).
  2. Extract as much water as possible from everywhere possible.
  3. Remove wet carpet over wooden floors to prevent wood floors from buckling.
  4. Apply Vaseline on all metal objects to prevent corrosion.
  5. Don’t start cleaning walls unless you have been given correct instructions on how to. Doing it incorrectly will create more damage.
  6. Get scraps of hardwood and put them under all objects on the floor. This will help prevent some mold growth and permanent staining.
  7. Find commercial dehumidifiers and place at least one every room in the house. This will help start removing moisture from the home and prevent mold growth. You will need additional equipment, but at least this is a start.

Don’t throw away anything. The insurance company has experts that can determine the most burnt item and pay you the value. Even disgusting looking boxes have some monetary value.

If your home is in need of board up, 24 Restore is open 24 hours, 7 days a week and has trained board up crews to make sure that your home or business is secure. What are the best ways to secure my property after fire-related damage?

In most cases a professional board up company should be used who has years of experience. Although an eager handyman might encourage that he/she can do it, if done wrong, intruders can enter in your home. Besides stealing items, if the intruder gets hurt, you are legally responsible for their injuries. A correct board up should include using 3/8″ plywood with 2x4s bolted from inside the dwelling over windows. The front door, if needed, should have a secure lock that you and the restoration contractor has a key for.

Call 24 Restore to assist you in properly and safely securing your property after a fire damage or storm damage.