Candle Safety Tips for Fall
Its that time of year again where we crave the glorious glow and wonderful smell of a candle to warm the home and soul!
As comforting as candles are, they are still one of the top causes of smoke and/or fire damage in homes and businesses. That is why almost every fall I do a blog on this topic, anything I can do to help keep our Minneapolis neighborhoods and all surrounding communities informed! 😉
Not only are candles one of the top sources for a home fire but roughly one-third (36%) of home candle fires start in bedrooms. Okay my friends, this is NOT what they mean by turning up the heat in the bedroom!!! These fires caused 32% of the associated deaths and 47% of the associated injuries related to fires. Falling asleep with a candle burning was a factor in 11% percent of the home candle fires and 30% of the associated deaths. On average, 25 home candle fires are reported per day. That’s crazy! Now you understand the importance for repeating this subject! Safety First!
Candle tips for safe burning!
- Remove all packaging before lighting.
- Place on a protected, heat-resistant, dry surface, away from anything that can catch fire, and out of reach of children and pets. Use holders designed for the particular candle style.
- Keep wick(s) trimmed to 1/8 inch at all times.
- If smoking occurs, blow candle out. Trim wick(s), remove trimmings, and relight.
- Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches, or any combustible material. Keep the wick centered.
- Avoid burning candles in drafts.
- Never leave burning candles unattended. Keep them within sight at all times.
- Never burn candles where kids or pets can reach them (Cats + Counters = Not a good scenario!)
- Keep all matches and lighters also out of the reach of children.
- Teach everyone in the family the rules of safe candle use.
If you should experience a smoke or fire damage in your home or business 24Restore’s highly trained Team is here for you 24 Hours a day and 365 days a year. NO job is too small or too large.
~ The People ~ The Equipment ~ The Expertise ~