Candle Burning Safety Tips for Fall

Does anyone else think this Pumpkin Spice thing is getting just a little out of control??? For me, it went a step and a half too far by bringing it to the cereal aisle… Pumpkin Spice Cheerios, Special K, Life and even my ultimate favorite FROSTED MINI WHEATS… Boxed Cereal SAY WHAT??!!!!

Whether you are on the fan train or not, this time of year always gets me thinking about that comforting smell of my favorite candle!

Before you get that fall favorite burning, freshen up on these candle burning safety tips!

  • candle burning safety tipsRemove all packaging before lighting.
  • Place on a protected, heat-resistant, dry surface, away from anything that can catch fire, and absolutely keep out of reach of children and pets. Use holders designed for the particular candle style.
  • Keep wick(s) trimmed to 1/8 inches at all times.
  • If smoking occurs, blow candle out. Trim wick(s), remove trimmings, and relight.
  • Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches, or any combustible material. Keep the wick centered.
  • Avoid burning candles in drafts.
  • Never leave burning candles unattended. Keep them within sight at ALL times.
  • Keep all matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
  • Teach everyone in the family the rules of safe candle use.

Have you ever wondered if some candles are better than others for the indoor air environment, here’s some facts that may interest you:

Most candles are made of Paraffin wax, which creates highly toxic benzene and toluene when burned (both are known Carcinogens). In fact, the toxins released from paraffin candles are the same as those found In diesel fuel fumes!
Additionally, “petro-soot” from paraffin candles gives off the same soot as the exhaust for the diesel engine, and is considered just as dangerous as secondhand smoke, causing problems from headaches to lung cancer. Paraffin fumes have been found to cause tumors in the kidneys and liver land animals. Shocking right??? I know! That is why I had to not only share tips to help prevent a possible smoke or fire damage, I want to help your indoor air quality also!

So what’s the better choice you ask?

Beeswax! Beeswax candles give off the warm glow of candles without the toxic effects! Some studies even show that they are not only safe for the indoor air, but possibly help clean it! Gotta LOVE that!!!

A few years ago I had heard that soy candles were a safer alternative but it turns out most of them are genetically modified and maybe not the best choice. If you are making them yourself, depending on what you are using, you are probably okay!

So Burn Safely my fellow fall loving Minnesotans! If you or anyone you know is in need of a water, smoke or fire damage specialist, 24Restore is just a phone call away and ALWAYS available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!