6 Common Myths about Flood Cleanup BUSTED
Our lives can be hectic. At times, we are so busy it becomes almost easy to haphazardly forget the most common task – like turning off the faucet to the tub when your kiddo needs a bath. Before you know it, there is water pouring out into the hallway, and down through the walls into the living room of your Minneapolis home. You name it, we have probably seen it at 24Restore. Mishaps and mistakes happen, and many times they are fixable and don’t need to ruin your day.
Let’s play a game of true or false. Read the statements in bold, and decide if you think it could possibly be true – or if it’s all a lie.
- The drying and restoration process could be done in just a few days. TRUE! Depending on the size and scope of the job, and how quickly you call in a professional water restoration crew, your home or business could be dried and returned to the pre-loss condition in a matter of days. Trained water mitigation technicians understand how to strategically place air movers, dehumidifiers, and other drying equipment for maximum drying power and efficiency. That being said, the sooner crews get the drying process started, the sooner your life returns to normal!
- Mold growth won’t happen in your new home just because of a little water in the basement.
FALSE! Unfortunately, even a little standing water could trigger mold growth in as little as 48 to 72 hours. Even in the cold winters in Minneapolis, mold can grow if standing water is left unattended. During a humid, warm streak during the summer, mold has the perfect breeding ground.
- Throwing bleach on mold that does grow is enough to get rid of it.
Another FALSE. Water damage removal and mold removal involve using proven chemicals that will reach far into the surface to remove any mold spores that may be present. Bleach may remove the stain but will do little good beyond that and you’ll likely have microbial growth spreading before you know it.
- My computers and other electronics might be able to be saved.
TRUE! 24Restore has a full Contents Restoration line. That means not only can we possibly save your electronics, like your computers and appliances, we can also clean clothing, furniture, rugs, etc. In water loss situations, it’s possible that nearly all of the items in your home can be saved thanks to state-of-the-art cleaning techniques and products. Worried about vital documents like birth certificates and passports? There is a good chance our document recovery team can salvage those for you as well.
- Walls might have to be removed and replaced.
This is both TRUE and FALSE, but more FALSE. In bullet point #1, we talked about drying equipment, and thanks to those innovations in drying technology, it is possible that walls and tight spaces can be dried without requiring any demolition. Moisture readings will be taken throughout the flooded space to determine the extent of the water damage and the best course of action to get your property back to pre-loss condition